Skip to main content

Summer Projects

Well it's been another long gap between posts and in looking at the dates there seems to be something about summer that makes me want to start writing haha.

I think it might be that I start a lot of "Summer" projects. The days are longer, it's warm in the Pacific Northwest, it's beautiful outside and I get motivated to do something. This got me thinking about the importance of personal work and personal projects. I believe they are important because as artists these are opportunities to more easily process and develop.

There are many types of projects that could fall into this realm. I like to break up projects into these three categories:

DEVELOPMENT - A project designed around an area I'm wanting to improve in artistically (i.e. sketching faster, cartoony animation, drawing hands, etc.)

THERAPEUTIC - A project that allows me to process my thoughts and emotions through my artwork

EXPLORATION - An open project often focused  on having fun or trying out a new medium/technique with no particular goal other than trying it out

Having these categories helps me stay focused on a specific goal while also setting a level of expectation for the resulting outcome.

I am planning posts on how to go about creating your own development projects and another post sharing my experience creating a therapeutic animation project. Until then keep creating!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Timing and Spacing Part 1: The Basics

For my posts discussing the 12 Principles of Animation, I want to begin with Timing and Spacing because I feel that this principle is a major building block of the art form. This principle has a lot of power in establishing the style of a shot as well as what will be exaggerated and highlighted. It is also a principle that can be a bit confusing at times. For example, I'm calling the principle "timing AND spacing" while it has also been called simply "timing", and I sometimes hear students talking about the "timing feeling off" when it seems like they are trying to call out the spacing. All this to say I feel there's a lot to unpack so I decided to devote two posts to this principle. In this post, I'll define the principle as I think about it and share some basic examples so that in the following post we can dive in a bit deeper but all be on the same page. So, let's define this principle. The first thing to note is that while it is conside

Timing and Spacing Part 2: Application

 Alright, I'm really excited to get into this second part of Timing and Spacing. Hopefully, I will be able to apply the principles we defined in Part 1 in such a way that helps make these concepts start to click for you. After reading this post I encourage you to keep studying this principle and read what others have to say about it because once you start to grasp it your animations move to another level. ***EXPLANATORY CAMMA*** One last note before starting, since I'm going to try and move into application vs. definition I'll define these terms as I mean them here so that I don't have to pause to define them later. Key Drawing or Key = A drawing(2D) or frame (3D) that establishes when something will happen as well as extreme poses that help communicate the story. Breakdown(BD) = A drawing or frame that establishes how something transitions from one key to the next Inbetweens = The drawings or frames that guide the viewers' eye to and from Keys and BD's. Tim

It's Been A Minute

After finishing the little series on the 12 Principles I realized that it's been quite a while since I've shared what I've been up to. So as I develop more post ideas I thought I would take a minute to do that. I graduated from Animation Mentor back in 2018 (I said it was a while haha), and after about a year of applying and trying to make new shots for my animation reel I signed on to my first contract as a 3D Animator. I actually just wrapped up work on this project, it has been an absolute joy to work on and I'm still shocked and grateful I had the opportunity to be involved. That project was in the Film/TV sector of the industry and a little over a year ago I was able to start working in the Game sector. I have really enjoyed both sides, but personally, I was able to learn more about mechanics and animation faster working in games because of the types of animations that games require. In addition to working as an Animator, I was humbled to be asked to teach at my al