Skip to main content

It's Been A Minute

After finishing the little series on the 12 Principles I realized that it's been quite a while since I've shared what I've been up to. So as I develop more post ideas I thought I would take a minute to do that.

I graduated from Animation Mentor back in 2018 (I said it was a while haha), and after about a year of applying and trying to make new shots for my animation reel I signed on to my first contract as a 3D Animator. I actually just wrapped up work on this project, it has been an absolute joy to work on and I'm still shocked and grateful I had the opportunity to be involved. That project was in the Film/TV sector of the industry and a little over a year ago I was able to start working in the Game sector. I have really enjoyed both sides, but personally, I was able to learn more about mechanics and animation faster working in games because of the types of animations that games require.

In addition to working as an Animator, I was humbled to be asked to teach at my alma mater. I taught a digital illustration class and in a few months, I will be teaching an introduction to animation! Teaching has been a great opportunity for me to share what I have learned as well as challenge me to communicate ideas in different ways. I have also been freelancing as an illustrator and doing other odd jobs over the past few years.

Currently, I am between animation contracts, developing a short film, teaching, and illustrating. Writing that out makes me realize how many hats I'm wearing right now. It can be stressful at times, but I really enjoy doing different things. I think in the near future I will write a little more about my experience as a freelancer and looking for work, but for now, I think that will be it for this little update post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Timing and Spacing Part 1: The Basics

For my posts discussing the 12 Principles of Animation, I want to begin with Timing and Spacing because I feel that this principle is a major building block of the art form. This principle has a lot of power in establishing the style of a shot as well as what will be exaggerated and highlighted. It is also a principle that can be a bit confusing at times. For example, I'm calling the principle "timing AND spacing" while it has also been called simply "timing", and I sometimes hear students talking about the "timing feeling off" when it seems like they are trying to call out the spacing. All this to say I feel there's a lot to unpack so I decided to devote two posts to this principle. In this post, I'll define the principle as I think about it and share some basic examples so that in the following post we can dive in a bit deeper but all be on the same page. So, let's define this principle. The first thing to note is that while it is conside

Timing and Spacing Part 2: Application

 Alright, I'm really excited to get into this second part of Timing and Spacing. Hopefully, I will be able to apply the principles we defined in Part 1 in such a way that helps make these concepts start to click for you. After reading this post I encourage you to keep studying this principle and read what others have to say about it because once you start to grasp it your animations move to another level. ***EXPLANATORY CAMMA*** One last note before starting, since I'm going to try and move into application vs. definition I'll define these terms as I mean them here so that I don't have to pause to define them later. Key Drawing or Key = A drawing(2D) or frame (3D) that establishes when something will happen as well as extreme poses that help communicate the story. Breakdown(BD) = A drawing or frame that establishes how something transitions from one key to the next Inbetweens = The drawings or frames that guide the viewers' eye to and from Keys and BD's. Tim