Skip to main content

12 Principle Round-Up Wrap-Up

There are 5 principles left to cover all 12 Principles of Animation. These last 5 are a little more straightforward in terms of definition, but some of them may take extra effort when trying to communicate with others because they have to do with personal aesthetics and/or workflow. Looking WAY back at my introduction, I used 3 groups to organize the principles. We already covered all of the Motion principles and the last 2 groups are Technique and Aesthetic. These groups help to frame the principles in a way that I find helpful in terms of understanding their purpose. As usual, we will start by introducing the principles and defining them, and then move on to see how they are typically applied.

The Technique group has 2 of the last 5 principles and seems like a good place to start since they are the most straightforward. They are:

Solid Drawing - Drawings(2D) or poses (3D/Stop Motion) that show believable weight, balance, and relationship to the character's form as a whole while staying 'on model' during an animation

Pose-To-Pose & Straight Ahead - Animating a sequence by either first establishing main poses then adding more in-betweens to achieve a smooth fluid motion, or by working from a starting pose and feeling out the actions. Or a combination of the two

While these two principles were founded in traditional hand-drawn animation(2D), I want to show how they apply to us 3D animators as well. As I began 3D animation I remember having thoughts like, "my character is already modeled so it will always be on model". But I found my work had a stiffness to it and I remember being VERY worried about "breaking" the rig. I think this is a great place to apply the principle of Solid Drawing. To get fluidity and the right feeling to actions or motions you will at some point (if not in every shot) need to "break" the rig in order to visually communicate what you want. I mean that you will need to either translate a shoulder, scale a hand, or contort the figure in such a way that in 3D space is very unnatural, but if done with balance, weight, etc. in mind it will still maintain a sense of believability. In this way when the action is viewed through the camera or seen at final speed appears fluid and enhances the feeling of the movement.

Workflow has become a huge topic for 3D animation and it is a tough subject to try and tackle because honestly, every shot is a little different. I think it is good to try animating different actions in different ways to build a basic framework or workflow but keep in mind that each shot may require a slightly different approach and that is okay. This is why I like the Pose-To-Pose/Straight Ahead principle. They are two different ways to approach animating an action but are so broad that they can even be used together, and for many 3D animators they are used together on almost every shot because of video reference. Almost every 3D animator's process includes shooting video reference and using it as a template. It is an invaluable resource, and it blends these two approaches very well. For example, after filming reference you watch it to find a take that you like thinking, "Oh, I like that pose.", "This is a great expression.", "I like that head accent.", etc. In essence, you are choosing your poses, establishing the keys that you will transition between. However, because it is video reference you have all of the in-betweens and timing to review as well, you can make the frame range of your reference match the frame range of your shot, bring it into your animation software and animate the sequence in 3D space working Straight Ahead. By combining the two approaches you are able to strengthen key poses and how they relate to each other (a huge benefit of pose-to-pose), while still retaining the freedom to add unique frenetic movement and secondary actions that can add life to characters (one benefit of working straight ahead). 

Then there is the Aesthetic group. These last 3 principles are obviously important but can vary from person-to-person, shot-to-shot, project-to-project. For this reason, my application will be broad, but first the definitions.

Staging - How characters and props are arranged within a shot and environment as a whole.

Exaggeration - Amplifying movements or actions to add more weight and believability as well as communicate the feeling behind them more clearly to the viewer

Appeal - The overall feel of characters, props, environments are engaging and hold the interest of the viewer

In regards to application, these principles are very open to interpretation. For example, you may feel that you have exaggerated an action or expression, but when you show it to a friend they may say "this can be pushed a bit more". Or maybe you've created some simple characters that lack interest because the proportions are too similar. But, no matter how open the application might be, these principles share the same roots. That root is that every aspect of a shot should help communicate the meaning of the story. Some people are more conscious of this root when offering feedback (they are principles after all), but even unconsciously, comments and notes in these areas encompass expectations and meaning. Animators are communicating a story or idea through their work, therefore compose or stage your shots to show the power dynamics and/or mood of your characters, and create contrast in your work to engage the audience. Finally, when exaggerating your actions always keep the context of the world in mind. That is if the world is outrageous and cartoony then your exaggeration needs to match that outrageous quality, but your exaggeration needs to be less visually noticeable in a more realistic world, but the feeling should still come through.

These last three principles also apply to drawing and illustration, so I may spend some more time on staging/composition and appeal in future posts. Thanks again for reading and keep an eye out for the next post. I hope that this review of the 12 principles of animation has been helpful for some of you and I look forward to writing more soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Timing and Spacing Part 1: The Basics

For my posts discussing the 12 Principles of Animation, I want to begin with Timing and Spacing because I feel that this principle is a major building block of the art form. This principle has a lot of power in establishing the style of a shot as well as what will be exaggerated and highlighted. It is also a principle that can be a bit confusing at times. For example, I'm calling the principle "timing AND spacing" while it has also been called simply "timing", and I sometimes hear students talking about the "timing feeling off" when it seems like they are trying to call out the spacing. All this to say I feel there's a lot to unpack so I decided to devote two posts to this principle. In this post, I'll define the principle as I think about it and share some basic examples so that in the following post we can dive in a bit deeper but all be on the same page. So, let's define this principle. The first thing to note is that while it is conside

Timing and Spacing Part 2: Application

 Alright, I'm really excited to get into this second part of Timing and Spacing. Hopefully, I will be able to apply the principles we defined in Part 1 in such a way that helps make these concepts start to click for you. After reading this post I encourage you to keep studying this principle and read what others have to say about it because once you start to grasp it your animations move to another level. ***EXPLANATORY CAMMA*** One last note before starting, since I'm going to try and move into application vs. definition I'll define these terms as I mean them here so that I don't have to pause to define them later. Key Drawing or Key = A drawing(2D) or frame (3D) that establishes when something will happen as well as extreme poses that help communicate the story. Breakdown(BD) = A drawing or frame that establishes how something transitions from one key to the next Inbetweens = The drawings or frames that guide the viewers' eye to and from Keys and BD's. Tim

It's Been A Minute

After finishing the little series on the 12 Principles I realized that it's been quite a while since I've shared what I've been up to. So as I develop more post ideas I thought I would take a minute to do that. I graduated from Animation Mentor back in 2018 (I said it was a while haha), and after about a year of applying and trying to make new shots for my animation reel I signed on to my first contract as a 3D Animator. I actually just wrapped up work on this project, it has been an absolute joy to work on and I'm still shocked and grateful I had the opportunity to be involved. That project was in the Film/TV sector of the industry and a little over a year ago I was able to start working in the Game sector. I have really enjoyed both sides, but personally, I was able to learn more about mechanics and animation faster working in games because of the types of animations that games require. In addition to working as an Animator, I was humbled to be asked to teach at my al